- There can be a number of reasons for swelling of cheeks. That is the reason why patients should seek help from medical practitioners instead of taking any medication on their own as that could worsen the condition.
- Swelling in cheek is usually characterized by soreness as well as tenderness in the cheeks. Such a condition can lead to pain and even discomfort in a patient.
- In case a swollen cheek is not treated and left like that for some time, it can result in several complications and excessive pain.
Causes of Swollen Cheeks
- Edema. It is one condition in which the cheeks get swollen due to excess fluids present in the soft tissues of cheeks. A failure of organ can result in such a condition.
- Infections. Many viral or bacterial infections can be the reason for swollen cheeks.
- Sebaceous Cyst: A development of round patch in case the sebaceous follicles excrete sebum can result in the condition. Growth of cyst in cheek can result in swelled cheeks.
- Cheek Cancer: Tumors in cheeks can result in mild or severe swelling of cheeks.
- Trauma: Injury on the cheeks can not only cause bleeding, but also be accompanied with swelling. Even some cosmetic procedures can result in swelling in the cheeks.
- Allergic Reactions: Some people can be allergic to use of makeup, while others can be allergic to medicines or certain kind of food. This can cause redness and rashes on the skin.
- Enlargement of lymph nodes can also be a probable reason for swollen cheeks.
Treatment Of Swollen Cheeks
- Slices of potatoes can help reduce the swelling caused because of a trauma on the cheek. Also use of hot and cold compresses can be the best treatment option for mild swelling.
- Over the counter pain medications can also be extremely helpful in treatment of pain on the cheeks, especially if the pain is just not tolerable.
- Anti-inflammatory medicines should be taken by the patients to deal with pain as well as swelling on the cheek.
- A mixture of honey, lime, as well as lukewarm water can ease the pain and reduce swelling caused by a trauma.
- In case you also experience itching with swollen cheeks, opt for antihistamines. This can be particularly beneficial when the condition has been caused because of any allergy.
- Last but the best treatment option for patients suffering from swollen cheeks is to know what the causative factor is and visiting the doctor for help.