Skin is the largest organ of a human’s body and it accounts for about 16% of the weight. It executes different significant roles like acting as a bridge between external surroundings as well as environment of the body. Depending on the location as well as function, the characteristics of skin differs. A person’s hands have two kinds of skin, one is palmar i.e. the palm and other is dorsal i.e. located in the dorsum.
Both the skins are different. The palmar skin is glabrous, not much pliable, and thick. The skin is fixed to the fascia through different fibers set vertically. It also comprises of sensory nerve organs that perform functions like sensing and grasping.
Now the peeling of palmar means loss of epidermis i.e. skin’s upper layer. Sometimes, peeling of skin can occur due to an infection or even an underlying disease.
Causes Of Peeling Palms
- Peeling palms has a lot of symptoms associated with it which includes rashes, itchiness, dryness, burning sensation, redness, pain, and alike. There can be a lot of reasons why peeling skin of palmar peels off, and some of the disorders concerned with the disorder are:
- Exfoliative keratolysis: Also popular as focal palm peeling, it is a condition where palmar skin peels off severely and is followed by formation of air-filled blisters on the fingers as well as palms. Eczema can also cause the blisters which can lead to peeling up off palm.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a condition that can affect other body parts as well, but it is common cause for peeling of skin of palms. There are a lot of reasons for this condition, which includes genes, stress, bacteria, medications, hormones, and obesity.
- Hand Dermatitis: Also called as hand eczema, the common reasons for this condition include allergies, injuries, irritants, and genes. The major cause for peeling of skin in such a case is constant working of hands. People in industries like healthcare, catering, cleaning, and metalwork experience such a problem.
- Other syndromes causing peeling palms include ringworm, athletes’ foot, scarlet fever, dry skin, jock itch, and Kawasaki disease.
Natural Remedies For Peeling Palms
There are both natural and medical treatment options available for palm peeling. Patients might not get an immediate effect of natural remedies, but regular use can be helpful. Some of the home remedies for this include:
- Intake of vitamin supplements including vitamin A, B, C, as well as irons and minerals.
- Intake of nuts.
- Soaking hands in oatmeal bath every day.
- Application of aloe Vera or cucumber on the palms.
- Healthy diet containing cheese, cereals, carrots, eggs, and meat.